Join guest instructor Holly Dufour from Inner Peace Wellness for this fun hands-on class. Learn how to make your own soap adding whatever herbs or essential oils strike your fancy. You will go home from the class with what will become (after it hardens) 8-10 bars of luxurious soap.
Note: this workshop is fine for children age 8 and up as long as they are accompanied by an adult. Lye is highly caustic and anyone taking the class needs to be able to handle it responsibly.
What you will need:
- Old clothes or bring an apron
- A plastic container (4L ice cream pail)
- Old towel (large) at least two
- A candy thermometer (can get at dollar store)
- Safety glasses and rubber dish gloves (also at dollar store)
- Long handled spoon
- Soap mold for this time a plastic with lid 8 x 8 or close to it
- Electric hand mixer (sears $20)
Saponification is the name given to the chemical reaction that occurs when a vegetable oil is mixed with a strong alkali (Lye). The reaction produces two things soap and glycerin.
Fact – even though soap is made with lye there is no lye in the final product. It’s all reacted with oils, to form soap and glycerin.
Cost for the workshop is $65 + HST
Upcoming Workshops:None currently scheduled.